Rabbi Zidni Ilman
“My Lord, increase me in knowledge”
1. Ramadan is the only month mentioned by name in the Qur’an.
2. It is included in the five pillars of Islam.
3. It is the month in which the Qur’an came down.
4. Contains Laylat-ul Qadr (Night of Decree).
5. Fasting the entire month wipes away all previous minor sins.
The Prophet ﷺ said, “Whoever established prayers on the night of Qadr out of sincere faith and hoping for a reward from Allah , then all his previous sins will be forgiven; and whoever fasts in the month of Ramadan out of sincere faith, and hoping for a reward from Allah , then all his previous sins will be forgiven.”
[Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 31, Number 125]
6. Praying night prayers (Taraaweeh/Qiyaam) throughout it wipes away all previous minor sins.
Allah’s Apostle ﷺ said: “Whoever establishes prayers during the nights of Ramadan faithfully out of sincere faith and hoping to attain rewards of Allah (not for showing off), all his past sins will be forgiven.” [Sahih Bukhari – Volume 1, Book 2, Number 36]
7. It is the only month in which the gates of Paradise are open.
8. And the only month in which the gates of Hell are closed.
9. The only month in which the chiefs of the devils are chained.
Allah’s Apostle ﷺ said, “When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of the heaven are opened and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained.”
[Sahih Bukhari – Volume 3, Book 31, Number 123]
10. Allah decrees who is saved from the punishment of Hell at each sunset.
11. The month that inspires millions to recite the entire Qur’an during it.
12. It offers many opportunities to contribute to break the fast of others and hence receive the same reward as them.
13. The only month in which we are encouraged to be most generous (Sadaqah).
14. Offers Muslims the opportunity to pray night prayers (Tawraaweeh/Qiyaam) until the Imaam finishes. Whoever does this will have recorded for himself the reward of having prayed the entire night.
Messenger ﷺ of Allah said: “Whoever prays qiyaam with the imam until he finishes, it will be recorded for him that he spent the whole night in prayer.”
[Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Salaat al-Taraaweeh, p. 15]
15. The only month in which a ‘Umrah performed anytime during it secures the reward of having performed Hajj with the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ.
The Prophet ﷺ is reported to have said: “When the month or Ramadan arrives, go for ‘umrah, because `umrah in Ramadan is like accompanying me on Hajj.”
[Sahîh al-Bukhârî (1764)]
16. I’tikaaf during its last 10 days is stressed upon more than in any other month.
17. The only month that if you fast all of it and then fast any 6 days in the following month (Shawwaal) leads to the reward of having fasted the entire year.
Abû Ayyûb al-Ansârî related: Allah’s Messenger ﷺ says: “Whoever fasts the month of Ramadan and then follows it with six days of fasting in the month of Shawwâl, it will be as if he had fasted the year through.”
[Sahîh Muslim (1163)]
18. Millions wake up moments before the dawn prayer (fajr/subuh) to follow the sunnah of suhoor (pre-dawn meal).
19. Offers the opportunity of breaking your fast on dates.
20. The only month that millions of Muslims engage in lots of du’a (supplications).
21. The month in which the Prophet ﷺ emphasized the importance of abandoning false and acting upon it.
Authored by Shaykh Bilal Dannoun
Edited & drafted by Sana Abdul Samad