1. QURAN FACT – Prophet salallahu aleyhi wasallam was worried about forgetting the Qur’an in the beginning of the revelation. When jibreel would recite to him he would start repeating even before jibreel had finished the verse, this was out of the fear and concern of forgetting the Qur’an. Allah then revealed the following verses
- (Surat Al Qiyamah 75 : Verses 16 – 19)
- Move not your tongue with it, [O Muhammad], to hasten with recitation of the Qur’an.
– Indeed, upon Us is its collection [in your heart] and [to make possible] its recitation.
– So when We have recited it [through Gabriel], then follow its recitation.
– Then upon Us is its clarification [to you].
From this fact we also learn that when a student studies under a teacher, she should let her teacher finish before repeating the verse.
2. Proper pronunciation of arabic alphabets is an integral part of tajweed.
3. In order to recite the Qur’an properly we need to learn how to pronounce the letters properly.
4. One needs to learn where the letter originates from = Makharaj.
5. Makharaj = Points of Vocal Articulation.
6. It is divided into 5 Areas
1) Chest (Entire Wind Canal) – 3 Sounds Originate
2) Throat – 6 Letters from 3 Different Areas
3) Tongue – Most Common – 10 Specific Areas
4) Lips – 2 Areas from where sounds originate
5) Nose – Only 1 Sound – Sound of Ghunnah
7. Above are 5 broad areas with a total of 17 specific areas.
8. Sounds that originate from the Chest area are 3 and these are vowels
“aa” – Fat’ha (or) Zabar
“ee” – Kasrah (or) Zair
“oo” – Dhamma (or) Paish
9. 6 Letters divided into 3 Categories
There is nothing between a person and the science of tajweed except the practicing of the tongue/mouth.
– Ibn Jazari
Recitation of Ayat Al Kursi
Notes by Shamsiya Noorul Quloob